Monday, April 11, 2011

MAD Ride 2011

The MAD ride put on by the Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club has come and gone for yet another year.
Sunday April 10th, 20011


Driving into Woodend the sight of Mt Macedon sobered our thoughts, its peaks were hidden in cloud. A light drizzle settled on the windscreen. As I parked the car and headed for the registration desk a light katabatic breeze brought with it a numbing cold. Greg (HumeBUG) and I met at the registration desk where he elected to do the 120k ride and me the 65. There was nervous chatter all around me coupled with the sharp smell of liniment. Those waiting in the Que debated each other the possibility of a wet and miserable morning. It was becoming increasingly more difficult to blink. My eyelids were frozen to my eyeballs.
Peter from BrimbankBUG found me and introduced himself, and then to the rest of his group as they arrived. We were soon heading towards the start point. Making our way up the shallow hill and out of Woodend I immediately started to warm up. Soon Keynton was also behind us and we were approaching the Lorinston Town Hall. Andrew (BrimBUG) and I discussed what we had ordered for lunch. I was looking forward to the Barramundi fillet and Andrew, the rib eye steak in red wine juss. Walking into the hall and up to the table we settled for a salad roll and blueberry muffin. Never has a salad roll tasted so good. Warm rays from the winter sun began to heat the air. In the back of everyone's thoughts though, the long climb ahead. Leaving Lauriston then turning left, the long grind up Shepherd's Hill began. We all made it to the top at our own pace but were relieved to get there nonetheless. It was nowhere near as difficult as I had remembered. The views from here to the Lauriston Reservoir were stunning. Last year during the drought the Dam slipway was dry, but not today.
Finally a welcome tail wind sprung up to see us home.
It was another great ride in good company. I can't wait to do it all again next year.
Hopefully more of the Hume BUGers will be able to join us.
(Max speed 108 KPH - forgot to turn off the GPS for the drive home)


Iain

No comments:

Post a Comment